If you are on this page, it might be because you or someone close to you suffers from Parkinson's disease , a disease that among having other effects, causes speech and elocution disorders .
▸The effects of Parkinson's disease on speech
Speech disorders in Parkinson's are frequent, in fact from 60% to 80% of those afflicted with Parkinson's disease have difficulties expressing themselves, especially with articulating their words. Motor problems caused by the disease, most notably dysarthria, affect the muscles needed for speech.
Dysarthria has different symptoms that vary from patient to patient. Some recurring symptoms include:
- Weak/inaudible voice, or a hoarse/nasal voice
- Lack of clarity in articulating words
- Slow speech or stuttering
Dysarthria can cause lack of communication, isolation, annoyance and depression of both the patient and those around him
Given that there are more than 4 million people affected by Parkinson's disease worldwide, a suitable and adaptable tool is necessary to facilitate communication.
▸Digital tools for communication
Vocalyx is a computer tool adapted for use as a communication aid for people with Parkinson's disease. It is an effective solution that can be used on tablets and smartphones that uses text, photos and pictograms according to the user's preference, as well as a voice synthesis that vocalizes the words corresponding to the chosen text or image.
This tool was created by a specialized medical team composed of doctors, speech therapists, occupational therapists, and cognitive scientists with the intention of being as effective as possible.
- Facilitating communication with others on a daily basis
- Easy customization by taking pictures of people, objects, and places
- Relaxing for patients who get very tired trying to talk, and allowing them to be easily understood
- Anti-shake setting to compensate for possible patient trembling difficulties
- Additional possible use with a joystick, ball-pad or stylus
- The possibility of creating your own training exercises
Don't hesitate to download Vocalyx and try it for free! Vocalyx is available for Android and Apple smartphones and tablets.
A free trial period is available with no obligation to pay anything. It costs nothing and can only help you !
▸What can we do to help someone with Parkinson's disease?
It is very important to pay attention to these details while communicating with someone with Parkinson’s disease.
Good luck using Vocalyx! We hope that this will help you.