What is vocalyx ?
Vocalyx is an application available on tablet and smartphone Android or Apple. Vocalyx allows a person with language or communication disorders to increase their ability to communicate with their family and friends. It is used in temporary alternative communication or to create, share and use practical rehabilitation exercises between a user, his health professionals and his carers and actively participates in self-rehabilitation.
The principle is simple: you will press on a photo, an image or a text and Vocalyx using a synthesized voice will vocalize the sound or the corresponding message.
Thanks to its various functionalities (free keyboard input AZERTY or ABCD, pictograms, photos, thematic libraries, etc.), it can effectively meet the specific needs of each type of language, vocalization or communication disorder.
Who caused vocalyx ?
Vocalyx was imagined by Doctor Olivier De Masfrand and was then created and perfected by a medical team (doctors, speech therapists, occupational therapists, cognitive scientists...) to help all people suffering from language or communication disorders and suffering from not being able to express themselves.
Free trial : how to try vocalyx for free ?
Vocalyx is available for free trial on AppStore
( for iPhone and iPad by clicking here
) and PlayStore
( for smartphones and Android tablets by clicking here
) and without obligation.
Simply have an internet connection on your device, click on the link above corresponding to your device and press install (for Android) or « get » (for Apple).
The download time, if your network is low, get as close as possible to your Wifi terminal to download faster and without failure.
At the end of the trial, you are entirely free to subscribe monthly without obligation or to buy the final version.You will not pay anything at the end of the trial if you do not choose to continue.
The trial period is available for 200 vocalizations (200 clicks on any proposed or customized key) and includes all Vocalyx options.
Get your trial license
After validating either your email, a phone number, or both, you will receive your license number within minutes by email, sometimes with more time for the SMS, on the address or number you have given us. The first time you open Vocalyx, you just have to copy this code. To activate the license, your device must be connected to the Internet. Once activated, your license is valid for 200 clicks on the voice keys.
If you do not find this information, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your details.
Payment problems on the store ? comment les débloquer ?
If you encounter problems when paying on the PlayStore (or GooglePlay, Android devices) or on the AppStore (Apple devices), this may be due to a blocking of your payments by Google or Apple (This may happen following payments for large sums as is the case for the purchase of Vocalyx, in order to prevent possible fraud on a 1st purchase) or because of the payment.
If that happens:
On Android, you can otherwise try to solve the payment problem by going to the Google support page (click here
). At the very bottom of this page, press "get help. By filling out the form and clicking on "call me". Google support will call you. You will then have to explain your concerns to them (explaining that this was your first payment if it was the case and that he has to unblock your account for payment). If this does not work, make the payment by check or bank transfer.
On Apple, you can consult the Apple help directly: click here
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may encounter on this issue: it does not depend on us.
Invoice: where to find my invoice ?
If you made the purchase by check or transfer directly to Vocalyx, you can request the invoice directly by email at email@example.com
If you purchased directly from a blind:
For Apple (AppStore) : (explanation here
- Go to the device settings
- Click on your "name" at the top of the settings
- Click on "iTunes Store and App Store".
- Click on "Apple ID:...@..."
- Click on "Show ID"
- Scroll down and press "Purchase history"
- Here you can find all your invoices from the AppStore
For Android (PlayStore) : (explanation here
- After a purchase on the PlayStore, a confirmation email is sent to you by email and serves as a receipt.
- You can get a receipt online if you did not receive the confirmation email
- Go to payments.google.com
- Sign in to your Google Account
- On the left, click on Subscriptions and services
- Click on Show Purchases
- Select a command to display the corresponding receipt
I'm not equipped : do you recommend android or apple equipment ?
Every brand has its advantages and its supporters!
Android Atout: low cost tablet compared to other OS (Windows, Apple) with a large number of touch screen formats, from the phone to the tablet via the 5, 7 or 10 inch tablet (12, 18 or 25 cm screen diagonal) more, Android tables in rugged version (shock resistant, waterproof) are available.
Apple's advantage: solidity, speed and homogeneity of the device
Purchase of equipment : if i plan to equip myself with an android tablet, what technical specifications would you recommend ? do you have any models you'd recommend ? how to buy the tablet/vocalyx set ?
Warning, depending on your use, some low-end tablets may not be suitable: the tablet has low resources, which can cause bugs, the sound can be weak, the screen is in low resolution, Bluetooth may not be integrated and battery life limited and sometimes the Googleplay awning is not available...
The criteria :
NB: To relieve the RAM and avoid slowdowns, remember to close the other applications with the button "recent application".
- Price: You can find for 200€ a 10 inches tablet or a smartphone sufficient or for 300€ approximately an excellent quality.
- Brands: Capanovi has tested several tablets, but not all, and recommends for their excellent value for money tablets or smartphones in 5, 7, 8 or 10 inch Google Nexus or ASUS brand screens.
SAMSUNG brand devices are equipped by default with better quality synthetic voices.
There are hundreds of devices on Android but on these 2 brands, notably ASUS, the standards of display and operation could be tested by our developers and Vocalyx works correctly.
- Spécifications techniques :
- Storage memory: the VOCALYX application does not need much storage memory, 16 or 32 GB is sufficient.
- Random access memory ( RAM memory) : Important point: We advise you an Android tablet ideally with 2 or 3 GB of RAM (RAM) which allows a comfortable use. The minimum is 1.5 GB RAM with a processor of at least 1.5 GHz (models with 1 GB RAM and a 1 GHz processor work but can be slow depending on the number and size of your photos).
Vocalyx is available with associated hardware. To benefit from an installed tablet + Vocalyx pack, please consult the prices (by clicking here
) then contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone at 06.98.23.23.45
Which device to choose, Smartphone (touchscreen) or tablet ?
The Vocalyx app is available on smartphone and tablet.
It has the same keyboards available whatever the material chosen, the screens will be the same but the keys will be proportionally smaller, unless you set the size of the keys differently on a device.
Between a tablet and a smartphone phone, the overall performance, including speed are equivalent, only differs the size of the screen and the phone function with sim card missing on tablet. Br> br>
Depending on your needs, you can choose a 7 or 10 inches screen (or 20 cm or 28 cm diagonally) tablet , especially in case of visual or motor difficulty, or for exercises at home and with a professional speech therapist or occupational therapist .
A 7-inch device can fit in a purse.
If the user uses a chair, he can choose a 10-inch screen (IPAD equivalent).
For more mobile use, a smartphone with a screen of 4 to 6 inches (10 cm to 16 cm diagonally) is recommended.
In practice, if Vocalyx users walk without difficulty, they choose a mobile version with a screen of about 10 cm, the size of a phone.
Moreover with the application Vocalyx on smartphone, it is possible to send messages and pictograms directly from your mobile plan if you wish without using a WiFi connection whichis needed on an application on a tablet. Br>
Some users wanted to combine these two uses and have 2 devices equipped to have at home a visual or tactile comfort or for exercises on tablet and also a mobility with a smartphone.
Can we use vocalyx with associated peripheral devices like a mouse ?
- Sound amplifier:
If you want to communicate in a noisy atmosphere or for group use, consider a sound amplifier or loudspeaker (check the Bluetooth compatibility of the device).
- Mouse or joystick, trackball, contactor: these peripherals are very useful in case of associated motor deficit and plug on a USB or mini USB plug on good quality tablets.
Compatible devices: does it work with my hardware ?
Vocalyx is available on TABLETTE and SMARTPHONE but not on computer.
Vocalyx can be used on most tablets and phones that work with Android and Apple operating systems.
With an Apple device, Vocalyx is compatible with all recent versions.
With an Android device (Samsung, Nexus, Asus, etc.), Vocalyx is compatible from version 4.2.2 up to the most recent version.
If the download and installation do not complete correctly, check that your Android version is sufficiently advanced or that your Apple version is up to date.
Interest: what does vocalyx bring me ?
Vocalyx is a tool recommended and used by thousands of patients and speech therapists on a daily basis with their patients.
Vocalyx has many tools to facilitate communication and exercises for people with 3 categories of difficulty:
- language impairment: aphasia, stroke, dysphasia.
- a communication disorder: autism.
- Vocalization disorder: following throat or tongue surgery, cancer of the throat, following a laryngectomy or tracheotomy, paralysis of the vocal cords (Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) mutism following deafness.
- Multiple associated disorders: trisomy, cerebral palsy (BMI).
Every need is unique! Vocalyx can adapt to 90% of these profiles. There are many ways to converse, from the most standard to the most personalized.
- Use of existing visuals in the software with 2000 ready-to-use messages: 1200 pictograms and 800 photos installed right from the start, thousands of keys to voice words or entire sentences.
- Creation "from scratch" of a keyboard (a board) for personal communication or reuse of an existing board, used in the family or centre.
- Compatibility with all image databases: Makaton, PECS, Sclera etc. Simply download the electronic version of the usual image bank to the device. Any image can be displayed on a button of your choice, already existing or created for it (the library of 2000 ARASAAC pictograms and 600 VOCALYX photos are provided with the software).
- Vocalyx is an open system: pictographic databases, for example MAKATON or PECS, can be used absolutely freely if the user has purchased them in electronic format. Download the electronic version of the image bank usually used onto the device. Any image can be displayed on a button of your choice, already existing or created for it (the library of 2000 ARASAAC pictograms and 600 VOCALYX photos are provided with the software).
- Take pictures directly from your camera's webcam or camera and display on one button.
- Audio recording with the camera microphone. For example, you can record the voice of someone you know, a sound or music that will be triggered when you press the key on which you recorded it.
- Choice of number and size of keys, possible grouping of keys into categories.
- Choice of screen scrolling mode (by sliding your finger on the screen or by a dedicated key).
- Add, modify, move, delete keys.
- Voice synthesis setting: voice speed, male or female voice, bass or treble.
- Possibility to compose a message from images or text on Vocalyx for sending in mail or sms. The recipient will receive it in text form.
- Export by email of a personal keyboard (communication keyboard or practical exercise) including all the images used for availability on the Vocalyx server.
- Import a specific personal or shared keyboard that is hosted on the Vocalyx server.
Diseases: which profiles are likely to use vocalyx ?
Vocalyx was created and designed by a medical team (doctors, speech therapists, occupational therapists...) in order to be an adaptable and customizable tool for all user profiles, at all cognitive and memory levels.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of diseases that may benefit from Vocalyx :
- Aphasia (stroke or brain injury)
- Deaf / Mute
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Tracheotomy sequelae and laryngectomy
- Dysarthria, Anarthria, dysphasia
- Cerebral palsy BMI, IMOC
- Oropharyngeal paralysis
- Brain injuries: brain injuries
- Respiratory insufficiency
And any other form of language and communication disorders. Moreover, Vocalyx adapts to associated motor or visual disorders (by modifying the size of the keys, by the possible use of peripherals, by modifying the duration of press on the screen...).
What advantages for the user, the accompanying person and the professionals ?
The application has been designed to be very ergonomic and intuitive without the need for a large computer background, and that echoes the user's natural curiosity and desire to play. Nevertheless a complete manual is integrated into the application.
VOCALYX is a complete and adaptable solution for all cognitive and memory levels :
- Its operation via pictograms, photos or texts
- The existence of various keyboards sorted by difficulty levels to suit all user profiles
- 100% personalisation of the keys possible thanks to the possibility of creating a key very easily by associating a personal recording made with the camera microphone and/or a photo taken directly on the tablet.
- 100% customizable parameters (key size, press duration, sex, age and speech speed ...).
- The possibility of creating your own keys by adding your own daily photos or pictograms (or those from pictogram banks such as MAKATON, ARASAAC, PECS, etc.).
- The ability to add peripherals
- The possibility of creating rehabilitation exercises
- For centers: considerable time saving: using the Vocalyx server, it is possible to export a personalized keyboard by e-mail in a few minutes. It is also possible to import on an unlimited number of tablets and smartphones a personalized keyboard (from a center or another user, an association or another member of his entourage) in a few minutes.
In fact, Vocalyx adapts to different forms of language and communication disorders, as well as to associated motor or visual disorders (by modifying the size of the keys, by the possible use of peripherals, by modifying the duration of press on the screen ...).
Is vocalyx a software or a method? what compatibility with my existing materials and methods ?
- Today, Vocalyx is a complete communication solution with a new version completely rethought by members of the medical profession (doctors, speech therapists, occupational therapists and specialists in neuro-science). Vocalyx integrates easily and perfectly with all the means implemented to facilitate language or communication. It is based on the method already in use, for example, a set of pictograms in paper version in your communication book.
- Do not hesitate to introduce Vocalyx to your accompanying professional (speech therapist, occupational therapist or other). If he knows Vocalyx, he will be able to help you in his grip and perhaps make you do exercises outside your sessions to help you even more. Many professionals (occupational speech therapists or others) know Vocalyx, but not all. If you talk to the professional who follows you and he does not know you, he can call us at 06.98.23.23.45 or send us an email at email@example.com for any request for help or information on the use and objectives of Vocalyx.
Do I need a mobile plan or an internet connection?
Vocalyx is used offline and is therefore usable in all places and situations of everyday life, whether used as a temporary alternative communication medium or to practice between sessions on Vocalyx exercises and on those created by his speech therapist.
A connection is only necessary to download Vocalyx and possibly a new synthetic voice (eg male or female voice, adult or child with Voxygen voices to search the store), when sending emails and keyboards and exercises or downloading our image bank (the Vocalythèque), 1200 pictograms and 800 photos).
Once downloaded, the application does not require a mobile plan for its use, with the exception of sharing messages or keyboards if no Wifi connection is available.
Which images to use ? pictograms and photos
You can use and add any external images to the application to help you communicate.
A bank of photos and pictograms is available directly from Vocalyx (requires internet to download): the Vocalythèque.
Other image banks are also available free of charge.
For pictograms :
- Arasaac : 5000 pictograms to download for free, click on "descargas", then choose the language icon. Offers colour pictograms in black and white, photographs, and sign language (accessible by clicking here).
- Picto Evolution: Application proposing pictograms. It exists in child and adult version (with different graphics) (accessible by clicking here).
- Etc. Etc.
For photos :
In addition to these image banks, you can use your own photos that you take with your camera, phone, tablet... to customize the use of Vocalyx.
Voice: how to change voices ?
If you have an Apple device, by going to the application settings from home and then to "Voice", you can change voices directly.
You can adjust the following sound and text-to-speech settings :
- The tone of the synthesized voice: low or high voice (The average value is by default 100 for a voice called normal).
- The speech speed of the synthetic voice.
- The synthetic voice used.
If you have an Android device, you can download new voices directly on the PlayStore (male or female, adult or child voices, more "human" with for example Voxygen voices by clicking here
Once a voice has been downloaded, you can use it by going to the application settings from home, then to the voice section and finally to "open the voice synthesis settings" and select the voice you wish to use.
Lack of sound
If you press voice keys and no sound is emitted :
- You can turn up the sound on the edge of your device if it is at zero, try turning it up as a phrase and vocalized on vocalyx.
- Check that there is a synthesizer voice installed on your device by going to the tablet settings (accessible from the application's "settings" at the bottom left of the home page, then in the "Voice" section then "open the text-to-speech settings". If no voice is selected, you can install one by going from the Play Store and searching for "google synthetic voice" or searching for "voxygen voice" (much more human voice).
- Go to another application to see if the sound works this one then try again on Vocalyx, your tablet can react slowly sometimes to Vocalyx requests.
What is the price of vocalyx ?
Vocalyx is available for purchase after the free trial, in final license : 219.99 € TTC.
Large discounts can be granted to groups according to their number.
Depending on the level, these prices include the possibility of half-day training for groups of around ten people in Paris.
If you wish to participate in a training course, please contact us so that we can form the groups.
How to accompany the first steps on vocalyx of a user with apprehension to use a tablet/smartphone ? or a user with reduced mental faculties ?
In a few simple steps :
- Place the commonly used image library in electronic format on the camera and change the keys or import one of the supplied basic keyboards.
- Start with a simple keyboard (type photos1 or pictograms1), and according to progress, gradually increase the scale of the keyboards.
- Choose in the keyboard parameters (edit key at the bottom of the screen then keyboard then grid size) a 2 x 3 keys grid to present few keys at the beginning, then increase the number of keys by increasing the number of keys on the grid by adjusting the grid size to display more keys per screen.
- If the theoretical explanations on paper are simpler for the user, it is possible to make screenshots
- by simultaneously pressing the on and volume down buttons for Android and the lock and home buttons for Apple
- you will find the screenshot in the photo gallery of your tablet or smartphone
- You can then print the generated screenshot by connecting a printer or by sending the visual to a computer connected to a printer
Loss, breakage or theft: what happens if my equipment is lost/broken/stolen ?
- What happens if I lose the hardware on which Vocalyx is installed ? Your Vocalyx license is associated to your google (PlayStore) or Apple (AppStore) account, by connecting from another device, you can install the application on this new device (if the other is inactive). Attention, if you have not saved your keyboards by exporting them, they will be lost.
- Is there a warranty breakage ? The user is free to take out breakage insurance independently.
Access the manual, checklist, tutorials or parameters
From the application's home page, you can access the manual, tutorials and help by pressing the "help" button at the top left of your screen.
All you have to do is click on "Notice", "Tutorials" or "Checklist" to consult them.
You can find the voice synthesis and gesture settings on the screen.
Keyboard and key parameters (key sizes, text or image display, key creation/modification) can be accessed directly from the keyboards.
- Protect your device with a case against falling and possibly add a screen protector without it being too thick.
- Close unnecessary applications that run in the background.
- Remember to adapt the battery life to your intended use and reduce the brightness of the screen.
How to unsubscribe
Subscriptions on Google Play renew automatically unless you unsubscribe. If you don't want the subscription for your magazine, newsstand content (e.g. the New York Times), streaming service, or other app to renew, you can cancel the subscription on Google Play. You can also change the payment method used for a subscription or membership. Sometimes you can also change the subscription frequency. read more
Some apps and services offer subscription-based access to their content. Unlike single item purchases (such as for game currency like gems and coins), subscriptions will automatically renew until you choose to end them. read more